AYH Student Coaching
Amherst Youth Hockey Student Coaching Program
The purpose of this program is:
1. to help train entry level coaches at an earlier age level.
2. to allow the younger players who wish to do so an opportunity to participate on the ice and help the coaching staff demonstrate/teach skills.
3. to give actual on-ice experience to our younger players who aspire to become coaches in the future.
4. to allow these young players protection under the USA Hockey Insurance program.
USA Hockey defines a Student Coach as a player between the ages of 13 and 17 who is currently properly registered/rostered on a USA Hockey team.
A Student Coach:
1. Must attend a training session conducted by the local hockey association prior to participating as a Student Coach.
2. Must always be under the supervision of a certified/ screened adult coach during all practices, clinics, tryouts, and in the locker room.
3. May help at practices, clinics, and tryouts only. (May not participate in scrimmages or games as a Student Coach).
4. May not act as an assistant or head coach during practices or games.
5. Must wear a helmet with a full-face shield, gloves, and skates while on the ice. Must wear a helmet during games while on the bench.
6. May only work with players at least one full playing age level down (e.g., a 12u age player may act as a Student Coach at the 10uvor 8u level).
7. The organization that is using the Student Coach must provide a USA Hockey Student Coach Information Form indicating what team he/she is participating in as a Student Coach, and what team he/she is properly registered/rostered as a player. You can download a Student Coach application by clicking on the file.
8. Upon reaching the age of eighteen (18), the Student Coach must comply with the USA Hockey Screening Program and meet the USA Hockey Coaching Education Program requirements that will qualify him/her to act as an assistant or head coach.
A mandatory training session will be held sometime in the Fall for Student Coaches accepted and registered in the AYH Student Coaching Program.
Submitting an application to the AYH Student Coaching Program is NOT a guarantee of acceptance. Amherst Youth Hockey reserves the right to limit the number of applicants accepted based on our needs and to reject any application.
For more information on the AYH Student Coach Program, please contact Amherst Youth Hockey's ACE Director